
This film is actually really good. I wasn't expecting much. When I first heard about it was imagining a freddy kruger kind of thing so I watched the trailer and it looked alright. Another vampire film. But actually it's quite different. It takes the vampire thing a bit further with there being different breeds. Basically a teenage guy realises his neighbour is a vampire and tries to protect his girlfriend and mum from him.
What I found most interesting was for the first part of the film it was a horror. Then... Introduce David Tennant and it is suddenly a black comedy. Which sounds rubbish in writing but it was rather good. And David Tennant was good old david tennant in it and he worked quite well against the Americans. Colin Farrell was so good as a vampire. He was perfectly cool and had the mannerisms down to a T. Also very scary!
I don't want to say too much because it was pretty good and it would spoil it if you knew everything. I very much liked the soundtrack. It featured Kid Cudi who is awesome. It had James Franco's brother in it, it's always weird watching him on screen because he looks and acts so differently yet is so similar. Reid Ewing's performance of one of the cool guys reminded me a bit of Johnny Simmons as Young Neil in Scott Pilgrim. His performance was the only hint that it might be a comedy before David Tennant showed up.
The direction was good. I enjoyed the film and wasn't paying much attention to the direction but during the closing titles it showed stills from the film and found myself thinking, that was an awesome shot. I liked that shot. That worked well. They were also well chosen screen shots for the graphics that accompanied the closing titles.
Colin Farrel was such a convincing vampire that he actually drew blood from some of his co stars by sinking his fangs into their necks!
ReplyDeleteHaha Naughty Colin.
ReplyDelete