Thursday, 5 April 2012

Pre-Production: Location Shooting

So last week we were meant to go to Brighton and shoot our teasers. However, it was meant to be SO sunny so we decided to postpone it til this week when the weather was meant to have worsened. We chose Tuesday which was meant to be cloudy and rain half way through the day.

The rain and cloud held off until we were on our way home, just our luck! But we can't control the weather!

Our first shooting start was on the roof top of the carpark where Casey parked. There was a cool view with lots of chimneys. But we got told off by the carpark police.
That scared us off. We didn't want to be hassled on the beach and around town for using the sony and the dead cat. So we wimped out and didn't take them with us. Instead we shot on Dylan's canon. It's such a nice camera to use! I was also taking stills on a canon but I couldn't shoot video. We all had a go on Dylan's though and it really is so much nicer than the older canons. I hope the footage came out nicely.

We went to the beach and shot some pier shots and we also went underneath the pier which was awesome. It's a good metaphor for the 'seedy underbelly' of Brighton which Peter James so frequently mentions.

We then drove to Shoreham. Shoreham Harbour is mentioned in a few of the books and the way it was described sounded like a really cool built up industrial place but it wasn't like that at all. We couldn't get to any of it! It was all restricted so we just ended up on yet another beach which wasn't ideal.

After realizing how much beach we had shot I suggested we try and find some dingy residential areas or council estates. There are plenty of council blocks in Brighton, but a lot of the ones we initially spotted were in quite nice surroundings. So we drove and when we started coming across run down terraced houses we stopped and got out. We found a rather ideal road. It was run down but the houses were colourful too which is common in Brighton.

So, I really hope there was enough footage.
What I have found from this is I am really clueless when it comes to outdoor location shoots and it is SO hard to shoot or plan a shoot without people in! There are only so many variations of shots you can do with just landscape or buildings. So I really hope we got enough.

We are shooting our forest teaser on Saturday evening. This should hopefully be easier for getting interesting shots as it will be more closed off, we have props and there will be a great contrast of light/dark.

I will post my stills once they are uploaded on my mac and I look forward to seeing how the footage turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment